Tuesday, April 1, 2014

My first post

Hi Everyone,
My name is Abbie Read and I am a junior biology major and biotech and chemistry minor. I am interested in taking this cancer biology class because last summer I interned in Dr. McMahon's lab at UCSF studying a type of lung cancer called non-small cell adenocarcinoma using in vitro and in vivo studies. Starting this summer and carrying through my senior year I will be interning in Dr. Sweet-Cordero's lab at Stanford where the focus is on pediatric oncology but my main project will be looking at chemotherapy resistance in lung cancer. I hope this class will give me a better understanding of cancer as a whole since so far what I have learnt is very focused in on one specific area. A broader look at cancer will help me make connections in my research. I also plan on going to graduate school where I will most likely continue my research in the cancer field. Here is a picture I took last summer of a Hematoxylin and Eosin stain of the airways of a mouse that had lung cancer.