Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Carlos's First Post

Hey everyone,

My name is Carlos Rivera and I am currently a sophomore Biology major. The reason why I am interested in this class is because I lost a close relative of mine to pancreatic cancer. What interests me most about cancer is the fact that there is so much we don't know about it despite the years of research that have gone into it. By taking this class, I hope to get a better understanding as to what causes this irregularity as well as the differences between the different types of cancers and how they affect the body with respect to their location.

Though the causes for pancreatic cancer is largely still a mystery, John Hopkins University has given a general overview as to the possible causes for the development of pancreatic cancer. Below is an image from cancerresearchuk.org showing the number of recorded incidences of pancreatic cancer in the world in 2008.