Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Jacey's First Post

Hi everyone, my name is Jacey Nishiguchi and I'm a sophomore bio major here at SCU. I am taking this class because I still have no idea what I want to do after college, and one of the fields that I want to learn more about is cancer research. I guess you could say I'm basically starting from scratch because I really don't know much about cancer. I'm hoping to learn more about how the disease works and the types of treatments there are for people who have this disease. I'm also interested in learning about research methods and how people develop treatments, as well as what differentiates each type of cancer. To get a brief overview of cancer in the U.S., I looked at the American Cancer Society's website, and something I found interesting and hope to learn more about is the varying numbers of survivors for the different types of cancers.
http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/content/@epidemiologysurveilance/documents/document/acspc-033876.pdf
Overall I'm hoping to develop a better understanding of the impact of cancer on the U.S., and how researchers are working to find treatments and learn more about the disease.