Sunday, April 10, 2011

UVA and UVB Protection from Sunscreen and Prevention of Skin Cancer

With summer just around the corner, young adults are working to " get their tan on". On the nice warm days you see dozens of students relaxing out on the grass, exposing themselves to the strong rays of the sun. From my own personal experience, the use of sunblock is unnecessary despite the many warnings I have heard from my parents and on sunblock advertisements. I know, I can get skin cancer if I do not wear sunscreen.

A clear link between UV exposure and skin cancer has been found, particularly with non-melanoma skin cancers. However, smearing sunscreen, potentially also full of chemicals, may not be any better for skin cells. The free radicals can potentially cause more damage than UV exposure (depending on level of exposure).

What ingredients are found in sunscreen products and how do they prevent against UV damage, the leading cause of skin cancer?